Itsycal / Version History
⬇︎ Itsycal (current) for macOS 10.12+
⬇︎ Itsycal 0.10.16 for macOS 10.10+
⬇︎ Itsycal 0.8.15 for macOS 10.8+
- Fetching events from the calendar database is more efficient. The fetches are smaller and duplicative work is reduced.
- Fixed a bug where event tooltips would randomly pop up out of nowhere while Itsycal was hidden for some users on macOS 10.14.
- Fixed a crashing bug associated with fetching events for some users on macOS 10.14.
- Press the
# key to briefly display the selected date's offset from today and day number of the year. For example, if today is October 1, 2018 and October 3, 2018 is selected, pressing
# will display +2 / 276 because October 3 is 2 days ahead of today and is the 276th day of the year. If you select the day you were born (which is pretty quick to do with the next new feature) and press
#, the offset is how many days old you are today. Whoopee.
- You can enter a repeat count and then a navigation command to have that command repeated. For example, typing
shift-rightArrow will move the selection forward 14 days. Typing
upArrow will go back 32 years. The repeat count times out after a few seconds.
- Various fixes as usual. If you are an early-adopter of macOS 10.14 Mojave and your navigation buttons randomly disappear, hopefully this version fixes that behavior.
- New preference for a larger text size.
- The event details popover displays the event's notes.
- Itsycal's height is constrained to the height of the screen.
- Text in the event details popover is now selectable.
- For macOS 10.13, Itsycal should properly reflect timezone changes.
- For macOS 10.14 (now in beta), a new System theme that automatically selects Light or Dark depending on the setting in macOS's System Preferences.
- Fixes and code cleanup as usual.
- Two additional choices for the agenda: 14 and 31 days.
- Copy to clipboard: Right click an agenda item for a context menu with this option.
- Compact agenda: Agenda truncates event titles to a single line and locations (if shown) to two lines. To see the full title and location, click on the agenda item for a popover.
- Some tweaks for macOS 10.14 (now in beta and not officially supported).
- Minor fixes and code cleanup as usual.
- FIX: Fixed some Chinese translations.
- Rearranged some plumbing.
- FIX (sort of) for macOS 10.13: Itsycal localizes the calendar and icon so that they are expressed in the user's native language no matter where they are. This worked on macOS 10.12 and prior, but stopped working on macOS 10.13. This version restores this functionality for a number of languages until Apple fixes the underlying issue in macOS 10.13.
- FIX: Some code was reworked to be more power efficient.
- New preference to hide the dots. If you have events every day, the dots just add clutter.
- New preference to display event location. You can also use the
. (period) key to toggle this setting. The keyboard shortcut is useful if you use the keyboard exclusively to navigate Itsycal and you want to quickly peek at locations that are normally hidden.
- Today's events dim when past their end time.
- The deletion alert shows the title and time of the event you are about to remove.
- Appearance tweaks and bug fixes.
- Chinese localization.
- Appearance tweaks and small bug fixes.
- New look with light and dark themes.
- Minor bug fixes and tweaks.
- Added the ability to resize the calendar vertically using control-j/k or by dragging from just below the bottom row.
- The system font replaces Varela Round in the calendar.
- FIX: Behaves better when you have multiple screens and use fullscreen apps.
- FIX: Event form correctly shows alarm popup every time.
- FIX: Preferences tabs work when double-clicked.
- Minor bug fixes and tweaks.
- New tabbed preferences interface.
- New preference to turn off automatically checking for updates. You will still be able to check manually.
- New preference to configure a custom datetime format. This was only possible via the command-line in the previous version.
- New preference to hide the icon if a custom datetime format is set.
- New preference for highlighting columns replaces the old 'Highlight Weekends' setting. This gives you more control over the appearance of your calendar and acknowledges that the concept of 'weekend' means different things to different people.
- Minor bug fixes and cleanup under the hood.
- Added option for an outlined icon which might look nicer with dark menu bars.
- Added an experimental hidden feature: Itsycal can display a clock in the format of your choosing. To enable the clock, specify your custom clock format in Itsycal's preferences via the command-line. For example,
defaults write com.mowglii.ItsycalApp ClockFormat "h:mm a". To disable the clock, either delete the
ClockFormat rule, or set it to an empty string. The smallest unit supported is seconds. The format patterns you can use are found here. This feature is experimental and may change in the future or even disappear.
- FIX: The last version (0.10.15) introduced a bug for users on macOS 10.10 and 10.11 relating to a feature that automatically detects the country and conditionally sets the weekend to Friday/Saturday. This version removes that automatic feature for macOS 10.10 and 10.11. However, if you want Itsycal to consider Friday/Saturday as the weekend, you can type the following command in Terminal.app:
defaults write com.mowglii.ItsycalApp WeekendIsFridaySaturday 1
- Itsycal considers Friday/Saturday to be the weekend in the following countries:
United Arab Emirates,
You can override this behavior and enforce Saturday/Sunday weekends by issuing the following
command in Terminal.app:
defaults write com.mowglii.ItsycalApp WeekendIsSaturdaySunday 1
- FIX: Itsycal remembers its position in the menu bar on macOS 10.12+.
- Double-click on a date to open the New Event box for that date.
- Unhide Itsycal when activated in case the 'Hide' option in Login Items is selected.
- On macOS 10.12+, ensure Itsycal has been moved to the Applications folder.
- FIX: Don't show window anchor if it extends past the edge of the Itsycal window.
- FIX: Don't show day unit in icon when only day number is showing for users of several Eastern languages.
- Added option to show short day of week name in menu bar.
- If you are updating Itsycal from a prior version on macOS 10.10 (Yosemite), you will need to restart your computer after installing this version.
- Added option to show short month name in menu bar. Icon uses system font.
- Show 7 days of events in agenda by default (instead of 0) when Itsycal is first installed.
- FIX: Software updater (Sparkle) was updated to latest version (1.13.1) to address security vulnerability.
- Low-res icon font matches Hi-res icon and calendar fonts.
- FIX: Keyboard shortcuts for cut/copy/paste work when creating a new event.
- FIX: Don't attempt to install menu extra on 10.11+.
- Left/right 2-finger swipe to go to previous/next months.
- FIX: Tooltips appear in correct screen with multi-monitor setups.
- FIX: Itsycal is a bit better at remembering calendar preferences.
- The calendar button opens BusyCal2 or Fantastical2 if they are set as your default calendar app.
- Weekends can be highlighted so they stand out more.
- FIX: Time zone changes are reflected without the need to restart Itsycal.
- FIX: Updater works properly on macOS 10.11 El Capitan.
- Use San Francisco system font in agenda and tooltips on macOS 10.11.
- FIX: Calendar.app opens in foreground on macOS 10.11.
- FIX: New Event popup layout fixes.
- FIX: Calculate table cell height properly for events that end at midnight.
- FIX: Don't show scrollers in tooltips ever, no matter what.
- Agenda shows relative day of the week (today, tomorrow).
- Agenda uses System short date format. You can customize this in System Preferences... > Language & Region > Advanced... > Dates.
- FIX: German Save Event translation improved.
- FIX: Veritcal position is correct with multiple monitors.
- FIX: Pop-up no longer gets clipped in fullscreen mode.
- NEW: Basic alert option for new events.
- FIX: Time zone changes don't require restart.
- FIX: Various localization fixes.
- NEW: Added an updater so it will be easier to keep up with new versions of Itsycal.
- FIX: Properly create All-day events now.
- NEW: Event location shown in tooltip when you hover over an event in the agenda.
- FIX: Tweaks to French localization.
- FIX: Do not display events the user has declined.
- This version is almost a complete re-write of the app.
It has a new bundle ID so that it doesn't conflict with
- Added the ability to create and delete events.
- Added the ability to change the first-day-of-the-week from within the app.
- Improved performance.
- New icon.
- Fixed bug in 0.8.14 that prevented launching on macOS 10.8.
- Flattened and softened UI a bit.
- Hide declined events (macOS 10.9+).
- Fixed infrequent crasher when an event doesn't have an associated color.
- Fixed German localization.
- Minor bug fix in agenda view.
- Updates for macOS 10.10 Yosemite.
- Added the ability to move the date icon in the menu bar by holding down the command key and dragging.
- Removed the clock.
- Use command-q to quit.
- New icon.
- Updates for macOS 10.9 Mavericks.
- H,J,K,L keys can navigate months and years.
- Minor fixes and tweaks.
- Use up/down arrows to move by year.
- Use 'p' to pin/unpin Itsycal.
- Use 'w' to toggle calendar weeks.
- Tooltips for buttons.
- New icon.
- Appearance tweaks and various bug fixes.
- Addressed a navigation bug in 0.4.0/0.4.1.
- Hover over agenda items to highlight them in the calendar.
- See appointments from your Mac Calendar.
- Shortcut toggles Itsycal instead of only opening it.
- Itsycal is a tiny window now instead of a menu.
- Preference to show calendar weeks.
- Ability to pin the window.
- Localizations for:
- Preference to show/hide the date.
- Credits pane in Preferences window.
- Clock and calendar better localized.
- Command-w can be used to close Preferences window.